I have been working on my long term food storage. I have come across several videos on You Tube.
For Family Night on Monday we worked on filling our 4 gallon square pails with items we purchased from the cannery. We bought hard white wheat, black beans, pinto beans, oats, and a few other things. We also bought the oxygen absorbers at the cannery. See the video below for instructions on how to pack your grain in your bucket.
Part #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pal88fR5COI
Part #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq4zpLfOSfE
Haley commented after family night how much fun it was to work together to fill the buckets. The girls were in charge of putting the bay leaves and oxygen packets in the buckets. Dave and the girls worked on filling the buckets while I worked on sealing the buckets with the iron.
We all worked together to fill 16 4 gallon pails with our food storage. It ONLY took us 45 minutes. Haley continued to remind the girls that we had to finish our job before we could have our treat. Amber made healthy brownies for our treat!
I think I posted this link over a month ago on my blog on how to seal the Mylar liners.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk9b0dAtJ80
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Long Term Food Storage
Posted by Johnson Family at 9:04 PM