Monday, December 8, 2008

Protein and Sugar!

I have been searching for sources of protein that are low in fat but contain a high amount of protein. After browsing through the Allergy Self-Help Cookbook I found the answer! There are three sources of protein that are low in fat; Quinoa provides almost 8 grams of protein in a 2oz. serving (before cooking), Buckwheat (about same amount) provides almost the same amount of protein, and amaranth has a little more protein. The good news is that I have cooked with Quinoa before, so I know the texture and taste of the grain. The buckwheat and amaranth I am not really familiar with. I will have to do some searching for recipes to incorporate them into our meals. Wish me luck!

I have also been reading "Little sugar addicts : end the mood swings, meltdowns, tantrums, and low self-esteem in your child today" by Kathleen DesMaisons. It talks about how sugar affects you children. There is a lot of truth to what she says in her book. Sugar does affect your children and it is not for the positive.


I will give you a perfect example of what happened with Allison at the store today. I let Amber and Allison get a cookie at Fred Meyer today. They were pretty good until we went to the Dollar Store after Fred Meyer. Allison and Amber were chasing each other circling the isles. I couldn't believe it! I got this look from this complete stranger, as if to say, "can't you control your children!" I put Allison in time out but and that seemed to help curb the game of tag. As I reflect back on what happened this morning, I realize that by giving them a cookie, instead of providing a healthy snack, I had to deal with the effects of sugar! A better choice would have been a handful of almonds or cheese and apple slices. It takes just a little bit of planning to make this work! You shouldn't reward you children with sugar. I think it is funny how we feed our children sugar and then expect them to act normal! The book talks about how sugar is not love. It is true. You could give them a hug or compliment them instead of rewarding them with a treat! Wow! That is a wild thought!

I have also been learning about how important protein with each meal is important. This is the reason I have been searching for protein sources low in fat. This is very important when it comes to children! They feel full when they have enough protein. The other positive thing that comes is that you feel better and have more energy when you have sufficient protein through out the day.